BALTIC STUDENT CONFERENCE "BRIDGES IN THE BALTICS"
"Bridges in the Baltics" is an annual student conference organized by University of Tartu together with other universities in the Baltic Sea region. The aim of the conference is to bring together students whose studies and research focus are on the languages or culture of the three Baltic States, to give them the possibility to meet their peers from other countries and universities, to present their academic work and interests, learn from each other and make new contacts. The conference welcomes everyone who is currently pursuing a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD degree at any university in the Baltic States or elsewhere.
The conference has welcomed proposals concerning the following aspects of the Baltic countries:
- language and literature
- history, folklore and culture
- arts, film and music
- cultural, biographical and gender studies
- modern technology and innovation in the Baltic societies
- political and social developments in the Baltic region
The working languages of the conference are Estonian, Latvian, Lithuanian and English. Everyone is welcome to give their presentation in any language mentioned above and we encourage using the languages of the Baltic States. However, the abstract and presentation slides should be in English.
Since 2013, the conference "Bridges in the Baltics" has been organized nine times:
- The first conference was held in 2013 at the University of Tartu (Estonia),
- The second conference was held in 2014 at the University of Latvia (Riga, Latvia),
- The third conference was held in 2015 at the Vilnius University (Lithuania),
- The fourth conference was held in 2016 at the Warsaw University (Poland),
- The fifth conference was held in 2017 at the Stockholm University (Sweden),
- The sixth conference was held in 2018 at the University of Tartu (Estonia),
- The seventh conference was held in 2019 at the University of Latvia (Riga, Latvia),
- The eight conference was held in 2021 at Vilnius University (Lithuania),
- The ninth conference was held in 2022 at the Warsaw University (Poland).
The 10th conference will be held on September 22-23, 2023 at the University of Tartu (Estonia).