(Picture source: dilbert.com)
Lexico-grammatical constructions in (Estonian learner) English.
Main research questions:
- Why use alternative ways of saying the same thing?
- What are the different meanings?
- the system’s failure vs the failure of the system (= the genitive alternation)
- The girl gave milk to the cat. vs The girl gave the cat milk. (= the dative alternation)
- I hit the stick against the fence. vs I hit the fence with the stick.
- He loaded muck on the truck. vs He loaded the truck with muck. (= the locative alternation)
- She sprayed paint on the wall. vs She sprayed the wall with paint. (= the locative alternation)
- The marchers converged on Times Square. vs The marchers converged at Times Square.
- Drinking and singing is fun. vs Drinking and singing are fun.
- The use of get in (Estonian) learner English
Lexical synonymy & polysemy:
- safe/secure, quick/fast, near/close, fake/false, sick/ill, expensive/dear, wealthy/rich, correct/right etc.
- 'cheers' in World Englishes